Tuesday

The Reluctant Blogger

I think a blog entry is supposed to be like a letter written to a friend.

Unfortunately, a long career of writing professionally has made me think of a blog entry as an essay. With a beginning (make it catchy!), middle (say something memorable!) and end (leave 'em with something to think about!). As a result, I have written quite a few blog entry Beginnings that never get published here, because they lack Endings. Or because their Middles go on so long that I've lost the point I was trying to make.

It's also odd to be writing for no one in particular, in the sense that this form of "publishing" doesn't necessarily mean having readers.

Some days, the thing I really want to write about has nothing to do with with copywriting or or graphic design or clients. Or I can't seem to find an appropriate tone for the content. One of the best bloggers I've read, recently, Dominique Browning (SlowLoveLife) manages to find the quotidian poetry in just about everything she encounters. Bad days don't disturb the essentially even keel of her outlook.

Ultimately, I think it's better to think more and post less. So often, the stuff I read would have been much improved if it were shorter, clearer and more concerned with the world than the self.

No comments:

Post a Comment